How can I obtain a visa for a foreign national to work in the United States as a business executive or manager?

business executive or manager
business executive or manager


The United States offers a wealth of business opportunities, making it an attractive destination for foreign business executives and managers looking to work and contribute to the American economy. However, entering the U.S. job market as a foreign national in a high-level executive or managerial role requires understanding the visa options available. In this blog, we will explore the various visa categories and requirements for foreign business executives and managers seeking employment in the United States.

  1. L-1A Intracompany Transferee Visa

The L-1A visa is specifically designed for multinational companies looking to transfer executives and managers to their U.S. offices. To qualify for this visa:

  • You must have been employed by the foreign company for at least one continuous year within the three years preceding the application.
  • The U.S. office must be a branch, subsidiary, or affiliate of the foreign company.
  • You must be coming to the U.S. to work in an executive or managerial capacity.

The L-1A visa typically grants a maximum initial stay of one year but can be extended for up to seven years, depending on the specific circumstances.

  1. E-2 Treaty Investor Visa

The E-2 visa allows foreign nationals from countries with a treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States to invest a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business. While the E-2 visa is often associated with entrepreneurs, it can also be used by executives or managers who oversee and manage the operations of the U.S. business in which they have invested. Key requirements include:

  • Making a substantial capital investment in a bona fide U.S. enterprise.
  • Owning at least 50% of the enterprise.
  • Playing an essential role in the company’s operations and management.

The E-2 visa is typically granted for up to five years, with the possibility of extension.

  1. H-1B Visa

While the H-1B visa is commonly associated with specialized occupations, it can also apply to high-level managerial positions within certain organizations. To qualify, the company sponsoring the visa must demonstrate that the role requires specialized knowledge and skills that are not readily available in the U.S. labor market. The H-1B visa is subject to an annual cap, and the petition process can be highly competitive.

  1. EB-1C Multinational Executive or Manager Green Card

The EB-1C green card category is for foreign business executives or managers who have been employed by a qualifying multinational company for at least one of the past three years. To qualify for this immigrant visa category, you must:

  • Have a qualifying employment relationship with the foreign company and its U.S. affiliate, parent, or subsidiary.
  • Be coming to the U.S. to work in an executive or managerial capacity.
  • Be sponsored by the U.S. employer.

The EB-1C green card leads to permanent residency in the United States.


Obtaining a U.S. visa as a foreign business executive or manager requires careful planning and a thorough understanding of the specific visa category that aligns with your situation and goals. It is advisable to work closely with an experienced immigration attorney or advisor who can guide you through the application process, help you gather the required documentation, and navigate the complexities of U.S. immigration laws. With the right visa, foreign business executives and managers can leverage their expertise and contribute to the success of U.S. businesses while pursuing their career aspirations in the United States.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here