How can I obtain a visa for my domestic worker to come to the United States with me?

domestic worker
domestic worker


Traveling to the United States for an extended period often requires the assistance of domestic workers, such as nannies, housekeepers, or personal assistants. If you are a foreign national planning to bring your domestic worker to the U.S., there are specific visa options available to facilitate their entry. In this blog, we will explore the steps to obtain a visa for your domestic worker to accompany you to the United States.

Understanding Visa Options for Domestic Workers

The United States offers several visa categories that allow foreign nationals to bring their domestic workers to the U.S. Two common visa categories for this purpose are:

  1. B-1 Visa with B-1 Domestic Employee Status: The B-1 visa is for temporary business visitors to the United States. If you are a foreign national with a B-1 visa and intend to visit the U.S. for business, you can apply for a B-1 Domestic Employee visa for your domestic worker.
  2. A-3 or G-5 Visa: These visas are specifically designed for personal employees, attendants, or domestic workers accompanying diplomats, foreign government officials, or international organization employees. A-3 visas are for employees of diplomats, while G-5 visas are for employees of international organization representatives.

Requirements for Obtaining a Visa for Your Domestic Worker

To obtain a visa for your domestic worker, you must meet certain requirements and follow specific steps:

1. Eligibility as the Principal Visa Holder: You must be eligible for a B-1, A-3, or G-5 visa as the principal visa holder. This typically means you are a foreign national visiting the United States for business, diplomatic, or international organization purposes.

2. Employment Relationship: You and your domestic worker must have an established employer-employee relationship. This includes providing a written contract outlining the terms and conditions of employment, including wages, working hours, and duties.

3. Demonstrate the Need: You must demonstrate a genuine need for your domestic worker’s assistance during your stay in the United States. This may include childcare, housekeeping, or personal care.

4. Visa Application: Your domestic worker must apply for the appropriate visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. They should complete the visa application form, provide necessary documentation, and pay the visa application fee.

5. Interview (if required): Depending on your country of origin, your domestic worker may need to attend a visa interview. During the interview, they will need to provide information about their employment, the terms of the contract, and their relationship with you.

6. DS-160 Confirmation: Your domestic worker should retain the DS-160 confirmation page, visa application fee receipt, and other relevant documents.

7. Visa Approval: If the visa application is approved, your domestic worker will receive a visa stamp in their passport, allowing them to accompany you to the United States.

8. Entry into the United States: Upon arrival in the U.S., your domestic worker must present the visa, passport, and other required documents to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials.


Obtaining a visa for your domestic worker to accompany you to the United States requires careful planning, adherence to specific requirements, and documentation of your employer-employee relationship. Whether you are a business traveler or a diplomat, ensuring that your domestic worker follows the proper visa application process will help facilitate their entry into the U.S. and enable you to travel with the necessary support during your stay.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here