What are the requirements for obtaining a visa for a foreign national to work in the United States as a physical therapist or occupational therapist?

physical therapist or occupational therapist
physical therapist or occupational therapist


The United States offers immense opportunities for foreign-trained healthcare professionals, including physical therapists and occupational therapists. If you’re a foreign national with aspirations to work in the U.S. in one of these rewarding healthcare roles, understanding the visa requirements is crucial. In this blog, we will explore the necessary steps and requirements for obtaining a visa to work as a physical therapist or occupational therapist in the United States.

1. Educational Qualifications:

Both physical therapists and occupational therapists must meet specific educational requirements to be eligible for U.S. work visas:

  • Physical Therapists: You must hold a degree in physical therapy, typically a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree. Your education should be obtained from a recognized institution accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).
  • Occupational Therapists: Occupational therapists should possess a Master’s degree in occupational therapy (MOT or MSOT) from an accredited program.

2. State Licensing:

One of the most critical steps for foreign therapists is obtaining state licensure in the state where you intend to work. Licensing requirements may vary from state to state, but they generally include:

  • Passing the National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE) or National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) Exam: Foreign-trained therapists must pass these standardized exams, which are required for U.S. licensure.
  • Credential Evaluation: Most states require a credentials evaluation of your education and training by an organization such as the Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy (FCCPT) for physical therapists or the Occupational Therapy Certification Board (NBCOT) for occupational therapists.
  • Clinical Hours: Completing a specific number of supervised clinical hours may also be a requirement.

3. Visa Options:

Once you’ve met the educational and licensing requirements, you can explore visa options to work in the U.S. as a therapist:

  • H-1B Visa: This visa is commonly used for highly skilled professionals, including healthcare workers. To be eligible, you’ll need a job offer from a U.S. employer who is willing to sponsor your H-1B visa and meet prevailing wage requirements.
  • TN Visa (For Canadians and Mexicans): Canadian and Mexican citizens can apply for the TN visa, which is designed for certain professionals. While not explicitly for therapists, some related professions like “Medical Laboratory Technologist” may apply.
  • J-1 Visa (Exchange Visitor Program): The J-1 visa can be used for practical training in healthcare fields. You’ll need a sponsor organization to administer your J-1 program and create a suitable training plan.

4. Visa Sponsorship:

To work legally in the U.S. as a therapist, you’ll require sponsorship from a U.S. employer. This employer must be willing to hire you, assist with the visa application process, and provide a job that aligns with your qualifications.

5. English Proficiency:

A crucial requirement for therapists is demonstrating English proficiency. This is typically achieved through exams like the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

6. Visa Application Process:

Once you have met the educational, licensing, and language proficiency requirements, the visa application process involves the following steps:

  • Obtain a Job Offer: Secure a job offer from a U.S. employer willing to sponsor your visa.
  • Complete Visa Application: Your employer will initiate the visa application process, and you’ll need to submit the required documents, including educational and licensing certificates.
  • Attend Visa Interview: Attend a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.
  • Obtain a Visa: If approved, you’ll receive a visa that allows you to work in the U.S.
  • Arrive in the U.S.: Once you have your visa, you can travel to the U.S. to begin your job as a physical therapist or occupational therapist.


Becoming a physical therapist or occupational therapist in the United States as a foreign national is achievable with dedication and the fulfillment of specific educational, licensing, and visa requirements. The healthcare sector in the U.S. offers rewarding opportunities to make a positive impact on patients’ lives while advancing your career. Be sure to consult with immigration experts and the relevant licensing authorities to navigate the complex process successfully and embark on a fulfilling healthcare career in the United States.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here