Home Blog What are the options available for obtaining a visa for a foreign...

What are the options available for obtaining a visa for a foreign national to work in the United States as a hospitality manager or event planner-Hospitality

hospitality manager or event planner
hospitality manager or event planner

Work in the United States as a hospitality manager or event planner

The United States is a hub for the hospitality and event planning industry, offering exciting career prospects for professionals in these fields. If you’re a foreign national dreaming of working as a hospitality manager or event planner in the U.S., it’s crucial to understand the various visa options available to make your career aspirations a reality. In this blog, we’ll explore the pathways to securing a U.S. work visa in these roles.

  1. H-1B VisaThe H-1B visa is a commonly chosen route for foreign professionals in specialized fields, including hospitality management and event planning. To qualify, you must receive a job offer from a U.S. employer willing to sponsor your visa. Your role should require specialized knowledge and skills, and you must possess the qualifications necessary for the job.
  2. L-1 VisaIf you’re currently employed by a multinational company and wish to transfer to a U.S. office as a hospitality manager or event planner, the L-1 visa may be a suitable option. There are two subcategories: L-1A for managers and executives and L-1B for employees with specialized knowledge. You must have worked for the company for at least one year.
  3. TN VisaUnder the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), Canadian and Mexican citizens can apply for a TN visa. While not explicitly designed for hospitality and event planning roles, certain managerial and administrative positions may qualify. TN visas typically have a streamlined application process with minimal paperwork.
  4. E-2 Visa (Investor Visa)If you’re considering starting your own hospitality or event planning business in the U.S., the E-2 visa may be a viable option. To qualify, you’ll need to make a substantial investment in a U.S. business, and your nationality must be from a country with a qualifying treaty with the U.S.
  5. J-1 Visa (Exchange Visitor Program)While primarily intended for individuals participating in exchange programs, some organizations offer J-1 visas for internships or training programs related to hospitality management and event planning. Be sure to explore if such opportunities align with your career goals.
  6. Optional Practical Training (OPT)If you’re an international student in the United States on an F-1 visa and have completed a relevant degree program, you may be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT allows you to work in your field of study, including hospitality and event planning, for up to 12 months, with the possibility of an additional 24-month extension for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) fields.


Securing a U.S. work visa as a foreign national aspiring to work as a hospitality manager or event planner is a pivotal step toward realizing your career aspirations in the dynamic world of hospitality and event planning. Each visa category comes with its own set of eligibility criteria, application process, and limitations, so it’s essential to choose the one that aligns best with your qualifications and career goals. Consulting with an immigration attorney or expert can provide invaluable guidance in navigating the intricate U.S. immigration system and ensuring a smooth visa application process. With the right visa in hand, you can embark on your journey to contribute to the vibrant hospitality and events industry in the United States.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here