What are the options available for obtaining a visa for a foreign national to work in the United States as a supply chain manager or procurement specialist-Supply Chain

supply chain manager or procurement specialist
supply chain manager or procurement specialist

Work in the United States as a supply chain manager or procurement specialist

Supply chain management and procurement are critical components of businesses across various industries. As global trade continues to expand, the demand for skilled supply chain managers and procurement specialists remains high. If you’re a foreign national seeking employment in the United States within these roles, understanding the available visa options is essential. In this blog, we will explore the pathways and requirements for obtaining a U.S. visa in these professions.

  1. H-1B Visa for Supply Chain Managers and Procurement Specialists

The H-1B visa is a common choice for foreign professionals, including supply chain managers and procurement specialists. To qualify for an H-1B visa, you must:

a. Have a job offer from a U.S. employer in your field.

b. Possess a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline, such as supply chain management, logistics, or business administration.

Your prospective employer must sponsor your H-1B visa application and demonstrate that your position qualifies as a specialty occupation.

  1. L-1 Visa for Intracompany Transfers

If you are already employed by a multinational company with U.S. offices, the L-1 visa may be an option. This visa allows managers, executives, and employees with specialized knowledge to transfer to a U.S. branch of the same company, which can include supply chain or procurement roles.

  1. Optional Practical Training (OPT)

If you are an international student studying in the United States, you may be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT). This allows you to work in your field for up to 12 months (or 36 months for STEM degree holders) after completing your studies on an F-1 visa. OPT can provide valuable work experience and a potential pathway to an H-1B visa.

  1. J-1 Visa for Exchange Visitors

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program offers opportunities for foreign professionals to participate in exchange programs, including internships or training programs related to their field. Some supply chain management and procurement positions may qualify for J-1 visas. You would need a program sponsor to assist with your application.

  1. Entrepreneur Visa Options

If you plan to start your own supply chain or procurement business in the U.S., entrepreneur visa options like the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa or the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Visa may be worth exploring. These visas require substantial investments and job creation in the U.S.

  1. TN Visa for Canadian and Mexican Citizens

Canadian and Mexican citizens may apply for a TN visa under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA). While this visa category primarily covers specific professions, some supply chain management and procurement roles may qualify.

  1. H-4 EAD

If your spouse holds an H-1B visa, you may be eligible for an H-4 Employment Authorization Document (EAD), allowing you to work in the United States. However, this option is contingent on your spouse’s H-1B status.


Working as a supply chain manager or procurement specialist in the United States as a foreign national presents opportunities to contribute to businesses’ efficiency and growth. By identifying the appropriate visa category, securing a job offer, and diligently following the application process, you can pursue your career in the U.S. workforce. Seek guidance and assistance from immigration experts or legal professionals to ensure a smooth transition into your new role and to remain compliant with U.S. immigration laws. Staying informed and prepared is key to achieving your professional goals in these vital professions.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here